Thursday 8 January 2015

Views, hills and what comes from them

This is this morning's view from the other back door. It made me stop and look for a while. Not just because of the bright bright blue sky. Although Mattman did bring home Tennyson's The Eagle tonight for some lit crit. Ringed with the azure world I stood. I hadn't noticed before that you can see up the inland slope of Knockagh Hill with its farmhouses. When it isn't raining, as it seems to be now in the black night outside.

It was good to stand and look at an immutable hill for a while in winter sunshine. Thinking of this week's Charlie Hebdo and Ang's own bad news. Thinking of help that comes from the hills of Psalm 121.

I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help.
My help cometh from the Lord, which made heaven and earth.
He will not suffer thy foot to be moved: he that keepeth thee will not slumber.
Behold, he that keepeth Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep.
The Lord is thy keeper: the Lord is thy shade upon thy right hand.
The sun shall not smite thee by day, nor the moon by night.
The Lord shall preserve thee from all evil: he shall preserve thy soul.
The Lord shall preserve thy going out and thy coming in from this time forth, and even for evermore.

Prince Charming and I got to the top of Belfast's highest hill over the holidays. Divis Mountain was for the whole Troubles out of bounds and take yourself off at the end of a rifle, and it is a revelation to ramble all over its wide friendly slopes now. The whole beautiful city is spread far below and Belfast Lough sails out towards the rest of you. Be safe on your hills x


8 comments:

Elizabethd said...

You have very beautiful views.

Thistle Cove Farm said...

love your new home, Mags. it's beautiful and the garden is fabulous! I used to read that Psalm to Dave's cousin when she was out of sorts. it seemed to calm her...for a while and then she just got plain mean. I still love it though and, yes, I try to be safe on my hills.

Kezzie said...

Beautiful!
I wrote my own song based on that psalm. We sang it once at church- I want to sing it again- must send it to my worship team!x

Jane and Chris said...

Only having seen NI through TV coverage during the Troubles,I'm grateful that you show us the real NI.
Jane x

Gumbo Lily said...

Your garden is so beautiful, and so are the views beyond. I can hardly believe it is winter in your land. If you get our cold blast, all the green will suffer.

Lovely views.

Lisa Richards said...

Love your picturesque garden and that psalm!

Anonymous said...

A winter hike is a blessing - great that you had the opportunity and took it!

Anonymous said...

oops - that was me, GretchenJoanna, who wrote about a winter hike being a blessing. I was in too big a hurry to finish my profile-checking-in...

Time stands still

 Hello! Sending you all lots of love from Northern Ireland, where nothing much changes just as everything changes, as usual. Time has stood ...